Curious About Electrical Wiring Replacement in Annapolis, MD?
Our Experts Give Insight About Old Electrical Wiring Replacement
As homeowners, we want to keep our property as safe as possible by being cautious and taking steps to ensure it’s protected. Not only is old electrical wiring dangerous, but it can also be inconvenient when trying to keep up with modern appliances and electronics. You could experience frequent circuit breaker overloads and flickering lights. It’s crucial to replace the electrical wiring throughout your home or business if you suspect it’s outdated. Older homes and structures are at a much higher risk of having outdated electrical wiring.
With more than 30 years of experience serving residents throughout Annapolis, MD, and the surrounding areas, the team at Weisman Electric is the region’s premier full-service electrical contractor for residential and commercial projects. Whether you need electrical outlet wiring replacement, electrical panel wiring replacement, or whole-home wiring replacement, we can help. Call us today for more info about our electrical services!
How Long Does Electrical Wiring Last?
While an electric wire’s lifespan is around 50 to 70 years, it’s wise to replace electrical wiring much sooner. Faulty wiring and installation, natural wear and tear, and other environmental factors can affect how long electrical wiring will work efficiently and effectively within a structure.
How Can You Identify Old Electrical Wiring?
Knowing whether you have new or old electrical wiring can be confusing. Some of the most common signs you have old electrical wiring include:
- Outdated Electrical Panels – Is your fuse box tripping or failing often? If so, your fuse box is probably old and can’t keep up with the electricity needs of your property.
- Aluminum Wires – When copper was more expensive in the 60s and 70s, businesses started using aluminum for electrical wiring. Aluminum wiring isn’t as safe as copper and can result in a fatal accident, so we make sure to use 100 percent copper wiring when replacing electrical wiring in a home or business.
- Cloth Insulation – People once used a cloth to get electric wiring insulated. If you find pieces of fabrics anywhere in your electrical wiring, it’s crucial to immediately call a professional to replace your electrical wiring and insulation.
When Should Electrical Wiring Be Replaced?
Here are some signs to watch for that indicate it’s time to replace your electrical wiring:
- Your home is 30 or more years old
- You’re tripping the breaker frequently
- You regularly need extension cords because there aren’t enough outlets
- Your lights dim or flicker when you turn on an appliance
- Your outlets are discolored or stained (this is a fire risk and needs to be addressed)
Why Do You Use Copper Wire Rather Than Aluminum Wire?
Aluminum wires are outdated and were used in the United States when there was a copper shortage in the 1960s. Because copper is a better conductor of electricity and a much safer option, we use copper electrical wiring today. If your home has aluminum wiring, it’s important to have a professional replace it with copper wiring.
Common Signs Your Electrical Wiring Should Be Replaced
The most common signs it’s time to have your electrical wiring replaced by a professional include:
- Dimming lights
- Buzzing switches and outlets
- Burning smell
- Switches or outlets that shock
- Breakers and fuses that continue tripping
- Frayed wiring
- Hot wall outlets
Contact Weisman Electric Today for Electrical Wiring Replacement
Our team of experts knows how to replace electrical wiring effectively, and they also know when it’s necessary to replace it to ensure everyone is safe in your home or business. If you’re unsure if the electrical wiring throughout your property is outdated and needs to be replaced, the experts at Weisman Electric can come to check it out and provide cost-effective solutions. Contact us today to learn more about our electrical wiring replacement services!