Contact Us 410-266-3522

Same Day / 24-Hour Service

Understanding the Dangers of Carbon Monoxide

You may have heard that carbon monoxide (CO) can harm you, but what is this gas and why is it so dangerous? If you’re curious or worried about carbon monoxide in Annapolis, it may be time to learn more about CO poisoning and how to protect yourself. You may already be protected thanks to electricians following strong building codes and not even know it, but it’s better to be safe than sorry. Before we talk about protection, let’s discuss how CO levels can become unsafe.

What Makes CO Dangerous?

CO is dangerous because it is a gas that is odorless, colorless, and has no taste. To put it simply, it is a gas that is pretty much impossible for humans to sense, and we should not be breathing it in. Even low concentrations of CO can cause health complications for people who end up poisoned. Unfortunately, a lot of the devices that we use can leak carbon monoxide into your home, and sometimes it is very difficult to discover the problem until it is too late.

How Does CO Get In Your Home?

There are quite a few common devices that can create this gas in your home. If they are well maintained, they most likely won’t cause a problem, but you should still be very careful. CO gas is created when anything burns, so anything in your home that creates heat can be a problem. Keep on the lookout for furnaces, space heaters, water heaters, clothes dryers, fireplaces, stoves, and grills. Even if they look to be in good condition, it’s best to have protection in case of a carbon monoxide leak.

How Do You Protect Yourself From CO?

Thankfully, carbon monoxide detectors can be installed in your home. These are similar to smoke detectors, and they are often required by building codes. In other words, if you don’t already have a carbon monoxide detector, you might want to get one in order to bring your residence up to code while ensuring your safety at the same time.